Le Diplomate, located on 14th street, has showed no sign of declining popularity after it opened a little over a year and a half ago. After a few dinners and two brunches there, here are my thoughts:
- Do not EVEN THINK about saying no to the freshly prepared bread basket.
- Their brunch options are awesome. Any place that serves steak tartare/raw meat before 2pm gets a thumbs up in my book.
- The Burger American is just so fine. It has the perfect fat content, the bun holds together, and the cheese is perfectly melted (note: they only serve it well-done). Also, it is so reasonably priced ($15) compared to some of the other “gourmet” burgers in DC.
- You may think you won’t be able to finish those fries. But if you believe in yourself, and you misjudge the waistband of your jeggings, anything is possible.
- The side of bacon is a surprisingly large serving. Each slice is incredibly thick and perfectly salty.
- The service is wonderful. Two weeks ago, after we mentioned that our friend had just passed the Maryland bar exam to our waiter, he brought out three celebratory glasses of champagne, and the manager came by to congratulate her on this accomplishment. So thoughtful!
In conclusion: I’m not coming here during those random months when I decide I’m going to try to be paleo because seeing the beautiful carbs here will make me cry.